Look for the CA Label when Buying Radiocommunications Equipment


A variety of radiocommunications equipment is available for consumers on the market. However, some equipment is not permitted to be used in Hong Kong. How can we identify the equipment that is permitted for use in Hong Kong?

All radiocommunications equipment permitted to be used in Hong Kong must meet the technical specifications set out by the Communications Authority (CA). You should check whether the equipment (e.g. 409 MHz walkie-talkies, Citizens Band walkie-talkies, cordless telephones, wireless microphones, wireless LAN equipment, video and audio transmitters) you want to buy or its packing bears the label prescribed by the CA as shown in figure 1a ("the CA label"). Telecommunications equipment available in the market before the establishment of the CA on 1 April 2012 may have been affixed with old prescribed labels (which are still valid) as shown in figure 1b. For details, please refer to the HKCA 3211 "Standardisation Guide for Labelling of Telecommunications Equipment" document available on the website of the Office of the Communications Authority (OFCA).

Figure 1a:
The current prescribed label

certification TA
Figure 1b:
The old prescribed label