The Office of the Communications Authority ("OFCA") respects personal data privacy and is committed to fully implementing and complying with the data protection principles and all relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and codes of practice issued by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data in handling all data collected, including all personal data submitted through this website. To this end, OFCA undertakes to:
- collect adequate, but not excessive, personal data by lawful and fair means only for lawful purposes related to the Department’s functions or activities;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data collected or retained are accurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are to be used;
- erase personal data which is no longer necessary for the purposes for which they are to be used;
- use the personal data collected only for purposes or directly related purposes for which the data was to be used at the time of collection, unless the individual concerned has given express consent for a change of use or such use is permitted by law;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data is protected against unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that a person can be informed of the kinds of personal data that the department holds and the purposes for which the data is to be used;
- permit persons to access and correct personal data of which they are the data subject and process any such access/correction requests in a manner permitted or required by law.
OFCA is the executive arm of Communications Authority. Personal Data may be shared between the Communications Authority and OFCA.
Personal data collected by this website
OFCA will record visits to this website without collecting any personal identifiable information of users. Such general statistics are collected for the compilation of statistical reports and the diagnosis of problems with or concerning computer systems to help OFCA improve this website.
For different purposes and at different times you may be invited to provide personal data to OFCA through this website on a voluntary basis. Personal data may include names, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or e-mail addresses. We will specify the collection purpose and intended usage of your personal data when we invite you to provide such information and advise you how you may request access to or correction of the personal data provided.
Unless permitted or required by law, OFCA will not disclose your personal data to any third parties without your prior consent.
This website uses the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol to encrypt data during network transmission to protect your personal data. All personal data you provide to OFCA via this website is secured, and access to your personal data is restricted to authorised personnel only.
A search service, which is provided by an independent contractor, is available from this website. Subject to applicable laws, any data collected through the provision of such search service may be used for compiling website traffic analysis or other legitimate purposes by or for the Communications Authority and the Government. The Communications Authority and the Government will not match the data obtained from any such search activity with any personal data possibly held by them.
When you use certain online applications of this website, cookies will be stored in the hard drive of your computer. The purpose of using cookies is to facilitate a consistent user experience within the same login session of the online application. We do not collect or store any personal data from you under this circumstance. You have a choice not to accept the cookies. If you do not accept the cookies, you may not be able to use some online applications of this website.
Access to/correction of personal data
You may request access to and correction of your personal data held by us. Such requests should be made in writing to our Personal Data Officer by filling in the respective application forms. Application forms are also available at counter of OFCA at 29/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
The following photocopying charge may be levied in relation to your application:
The standard fee of photocopying in black and white on A3 and A4 papers shall be HK$1.5 and HK$1.3 per photocopy respectively unless otherwise provided by enactment or approved by the Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury. The above charge is subject to revision from time to time.